Sunday, May 5, 2013

Temple Square

I have now been in Utah for seven days. It feels way longer then that, but in a good way. The first three days, my parents were here. While they were here we wondered around a good portion of downtown, went to some of the local restaurants, and also went to some 'hole in the wall' places. One of which was a super delicious breakfast place, and the other I forgot because it was gross (in the words of my father, "you win some, you lose some").

Anyways, the week slowly rolled by. I waited everyday for my roommate to show up (she is still not here; school starts tomorrow), and made myself get out and wander around everyday. I normally found myself at City Creek. I so love that place. I even went to Starbucks on Friday and got 'the usual'. AKA, a grande hot chocolate with a pump of caramel. You can never go wrong with chocolate and caramel. And the lady who made it put in more caramel then usual. Seriously, it was fantastic. I will be heading there again tomorrow to celebrate surviving the first day of classes. So after all this time of walking around City Creek, I realized I hadn't walked around Temple Square yet. Sure, I have been there hundreds of times, but each time feels different. Sometimes you're there wondering around looking at the millions of Christmas lights in the winter (SO awesome, and highly recommended), sometimes you are simply passing through as you head to the Conference Center, or, if you're like me, you simply enjoying wondering around and wanting to lose yourself in such a beautiful place. Well that is what I did today. 

While wondering around, I tried to really look at things from a different perspective. I enjoyed looking at the different colors and types of flowers, that not long ago were concealed with snow. People, and who they were with. What were they there for? Family pictures? In search of a quiet place to ponder and study? Or maybe they were just tourist that were intrigued by the beauty of the Salt Lake Temple.


Here is some of what I saw.





This cute older missionary couple getting pictures taken





This group of families struggling to keep all of their kids together, and dry for family pictures


Bright flowers








The beautiful Temple


This guy getting some pre-mission pictures taken


One of my personal favorites
 This middle aged couple trying to take a 'selfie' together on the bench, and laughing at their failed attempts :)


This one is just my favorite :)

I could walk around Temple Square all day. It was fun thinking back on some old memories that have happened here. I thought about things like walking around and giving my old roommate a full tour of Temple Square last fall, and being invited by family friends two weeks before Christmas to see the Christmas lights, while sipping on delicious hot chocolate and sharing stories of how we can help others during the holiday season. 
Some of my favorite memories have come from being here.

And I can't wait to make more.
xoxo,
Mo

1 comment: